Saturday, June 16, 2007

how did i get here?

This is the first moment since "starting" my debt that I stood up to face it head on. In the past talking about my debt would bring me to tears. Don't get me wrong, my situation could be worse (and I thank God that it isn't) but it's time to stop running.
Before I went to college, I started with 2 credit lines. I followed the instructions that I heard from television. Charge things pay it off... I did just that and my limits rose. Well, I go to college and initially couldn't find a job and once I found a job, I was making minimum wage... which at the time was $5.75. Needless to say managing rent, utilities, credit cards and ALL other school related expenses was impossible. I ignored the mail, I screened my calls...
I woke up! That brings me to today. Some day soon, I want to buy a home and I knew that my credit report had to come out the closet soon.

Since then I have been researching, reading, intrepreting, asking questions... everything in my power to right my wrongs.

My first goal is to pay down my credit cards and personal debt. Feel free to read, comment, post related links.

I have realized (just days into my credit freedom journey) that a) this won't happen over-night and b) I am not going through this alone.

I am keeping track of my debt and blogging my way out of it.
Thanks.

12 comments:

krystalatwork said...

Hi Ms. Voad! Thanks for visiting my blog. To answer your question about the status bars on my site, I coded those myself, but there's a really easy way to do them yourself (and a lot of bloggers have used the same method) ... go here:

progress bars

Also, would be happy to do a link exchange with you. :)

Wooly Woman said...

Good luck with your debt reduction! I just started blogging about it too. Keeps me thinking about it constantly!

ms.voad said...

Thank you much... yours as well. *heading over to your blog*

Dimples said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dimples said...

Hey. Welcome to the blogosphere. I was looking at your short term goals. How did you calculate needing at least a $25K salary to meet your financial goals?? $25K a year seems pretty low.

ms.voad said...

Dimples, am I selling myself short? I have yet to hit the pavement with my resume.. but I am assuming since I am hitting the market as entry-level fresh out of college... that is the going rate for the field... unless you know of a job offering more!!!!

Dimples said...

I don't think you have posted this but what are you getting your degree in?

ms.voad said...

I haven't... but it's in Graphic Design and Marketing! Yay!

Dimples said...

Ok I did some research on the entry level salary of a graphic designer and lowest I saw was $32K. And thats not even factoring in the Marketing degree.

Shoot higher than the $25K. I think your worth more than that.

ms.voad said...

Dimps, I can't even express to you how much that meant to me. I guess I am selling my self short and I really need to believe in myself when it comes to the job market. I just get so spazed out because for once I might think... "what id I don't get a job? But hey... if the former Chicago Bulls Marketing co-ordinator offered me a job off bat then I have to believe I am worth it. And Dimps, you don't even "know" me and you kind words and concern have touched me. Thank you... it means a lot.

Dimples said...

The former Chicago Bulls Marketing coordinator offered you a job?! Ok now! I feel you on the whole "What if I don't get a job?" thing. I felt the same way my last semester of college. I was a single mom and with no internship experience and an alright GPA. Compared the geniuses in my class, I felt like I was gonna wind up working at Burger King or something. But I prayed about it and the lord blessed me with an internship 4 months before I graduated and that company then hired me on full-time. My starting salary was $5K more than those geniuses in my class. Know your worth, believe in yourself, and let God handle ya business. It will all work out. You are going to have two degrees which you completed in 4 years. Now thats fierce! LOL

ms.voad said...

Yeah Dimps....
Well I was printing out my senior thesis and he was invading my personal spaces... asking me all kinds of questions about my project as it was coming out of the printer then he asked me if I was interested in baseball and if I would like to work with the minor league baseball team here... yep but he only said it was an intern and it is 1 hour away from school. Too many uncertainties, but it was flattering I must say!
Fierce... so Tyra Banks!

Powered By Blogger